Friday, March 28, 2014

Virtual Insanity: subjectively in search for community.

I’ve had a hard time with how to express my thoughts on this subject, out of fear that it’s not appropriate to discuss on a blog designated for one of my graduate classes. So out of that intellectual insecurity, I would normally resort to my community of associates: former classmates, colleagues, and long time friends. I go to them because they see the world through similar lenses as I do, we speak the similar idiolects, and we share some similar values and ideas. Though, through an array of differing complexions, we also share the most apparent aspect of life: a Black experience.

Simply put by Wikipedia, a community can be a rather small or personal social unit of individuals who share similar values. In which ways are these communities constructed? For my current intents and purposes of needing to be subjective, I will attempt to answer this question.

As I sit here in my apartment, I realize I’ve been deprived from a certain sense of community that I’ve been accustomed to for my entire twenty-five years of life. It was at my own will, though. I came to graduate school wanting a new experience, and boy, did I ever get it. Coming from a community of near racial solidarity at my alma mater and HBCU, I relocated from southeastern Virginia to the Atlantic coast of New Jersey to attend Monmouth University, a PWI. (Stop right there! If you find yourself asking what do HBCU and PWI stand for, don’t you dare Google it! I will make my point with this example soon enough!)

Being at Monmouth for the past few months, I’ve found myself faced with the task of making new acquaintances. I’m not saying I’m looking for a whole heap of people to call my friend, but in a new surrounding, it’s nice to have people around that you can share with and be comfortable around. However, I’ve found this to be somewhat of a challenge. Not only because I’m somewhat of an introvert (although, that doesn’t totally help), but because I realize that when I speak, I may be heard, though not always listened to. I usually take it upon myself to converge to my surrounding peers, because honestly, I’m a rather friendly and eclectic gal. However, I seem to be, if anything, diverging from the Monmouth community as opposed to with it; because again, perhaps I’m heard, but not listened to.

I find myself in a state of sociolinguistic limbo.

Maybe I don’t speak the same language as the majority of my peers, because I’m now the minority. To build a commune of like-minded individuals here is almost like finding the ethnic needle in a haystack; getting poked by cues of what seems like a sharp contact, communicatively sizing them up and only learning to find that it’s not the needle I need.

Back to the example of the acronyms I mentioned earlier. There are certain pieces of my vernacular with which I’m more familiar than others. Because of my experiences as a semi-southern young Black educated woman, I’ve adopted words and phrases that may not be relevant to the majority of my peers, and vice versa. The acronyms HBCU stands for Historically Black College/University, the inverse of this would be the PWI, or Predominately White Institution. Again, this is a small part of the language I speak, because it is a major part of my own experience.

It is not solely race that classifies a community, just like race isn’t the generalized factor of culture. A community is established through the orality and expression of like-minded individuals. And even if the ideas are not necessarily the same, we become attracted to or disinterested with it based on how it is presented, because as my mother taught me “it’s not what you say, but how you say it”. So, given my experiences with gaining or establishing a community in my new location, one may ask (if one actually cares) where I find that sense of familiarity and commonality? 

And my answer is simply this: “Black Twitter”.